How to Critique an Article? All you Need to Know!
Some of you may have already written this type of academic assignment also known as a response paper. Critique article is the paper to make students highlight their evaluation of a particular article, book, statement, etc. The evaluation may consider different topics and sources including scientific articles, literature or poems. A student needs to show if the author delivers enough arguments to support his or her point of view. Looks pretty tough right? Our useful tips will let you handle the task with ease.
Once you get into details, you will see that the concept of the paper, as well as other papers (like physic paper) is rather simple. This is why most instructors and teachers do not provide additional explanations and requirements. The result of the world totally depends on your ability to stress the key points, problems, and arguments. Even the writing style is not as important as the ability to analyses. The best way is to find an article you like and discuss it with friends or relatives. It will give the writing process a boost of energy. At least, you will define a direction to get started.
Here are some crucial aspects your paper is supposed to provide:
- It is not a summary. You do not need simply to list the points and problems discovered in the source. The main idea is to critique them. This is actually why the assignment has its name;
- Another common mistake students make is delivering heir impression instead of arguments to support their point of view. You need to focus on clear evidence and back them up;
- Do not concentrate on the main idea only. Every event has the cause and result. So, you need to provide the background in addition to the purpose of your critiques.
After we have finally defined the purpose of this academic paper, let’s check the insights and find out some of its samples and APA structure. Our tips will certainly out an ease on your writing process.
Don't have time to finish?
Try to write an academic paper with us
Free revision policy
Free bibliography & reference
Free title page
To get a professional opinion about the peculiarities of critique paper we’ve asked a professor of Modern English Literature at UChicago Robert S Hicks to share his thoughts and get a comprehensive response:
If you want to write a well-done critique, you need to know the specificity of such an assignment and be ready to spend some time doing it properly. I see students sometimes misunderstand the purpose of the critique and do the task in the wrong way. So let’s point out the purpose of the paper. Firstly, it aims to evaluate a certain object. You need to remember that it’s not a descriptive essay, hence, you don’t need to describe your object and make an analysis. You should evaluate an author’s arguments that are used to substantiate a statement instead. Then, you need to focus on the causes and results of these arguments. Here, it’s important to remember that you don’t need to write your personal opinion about that object. The purpose is to critique arguments and decide whether they are valid and strong or not. Speaking of the structure, you need to provide an introduction with a short description of the work’s purposes and main ideas. The critique has to be given in the body of the paper. I also recommend students use special methods to make their critique more concise and informative. The critique shouldn’t be too long, make it clear, coherent, and well-founded.
Article Critique Example
Article critique samples and examples are a good opportunity to make the writing process faster and simpler. With so many websites providing academic help, you can easily find some solid paper examples as the background for your own work. Do not simply copy those papers. Use them as a guide for your work.
It may help in a great way. Most samples depict a proper formatting manner depending on the style. You can use them as a writing template for APA, MLA, Harvard and other formatting styles. Our paper examples will save your hours and days of desperate writing and look for academic assistance. To ensure good academic results and high grades, download article critique samples here:
APA format article critique
Most instructors care the most about a proper formatting rather than the content. You may have a flawless paper from grammar and spelling perspectives, it may highlight the most genius ideas. However, you will never get a good mark for your work, unless it is properly formatted. As a rule, professor assigns several popular styles including APA, MLA, Harvard and some others. This time we will review the APA format for an article critique. First of all, we will identify the core elements of the paper for an APA structure:
1. Introduction. Abstract comes first unless you need to provide a cover page. As a rule, it is 150-250 words long. It should be written on a separate page and contain some core ideas of the major work. Don’t forget a centered “Abstract” title on top of the page;
- Agreeing with, defending or confirming a particular point of view
- Proposing a new point of view
- Conceding to an existing point of view, but qualifying certain points
- Reformulating an existing idea for a better explanation
- Dismissing a point of view through an evaluation of its criteria
- Reconciling two seemingly different points of view
2. Body Paragraphs – it is high time you wrote the main paragraphs of your work. Describe all details you think may help to deliver an argumentative article critique. Highlight methods you use in addition to purposes and causes;
- Observing and identifying objects for analysis
- Describing features
- Defining, referring, classifying, distinguishing, or comparing terms
- Illustrating or exemplifying a general point to explain or apply it
- Theorizing about or explaining why things are the way they are
- Conjecturing or speculating about explanations
- Evaluating the adequacy of our observations
3. Reference Page is the last element of your paper. It includes the list of sources and works cited in the text. Each reference should be arranged in accordance with APA requirements and include the following:
- author’s last name
- publication date
- source name written in Italics
- the number of age.
When it comes to in-text citation, APA considers its own format. You need to out the author’s name and publication date in brackets. This style is also known as the author-date system. Do not forget to include the name of the page at the end once you are eager to provide the author’s quote.
Once you properly implement the tips above, you will never find it difficult to write an article critique paper. Here is a template for your APA paper formatting style. Memorize it to avoid time-consuming writing challenges. If you don’t want to deal with this, then just leave us the request 'I want to pay someone to do my assignment' and our expert writers will help you to get your assignment done!